The 2018 Barclaycard everywoman in Retail Awards today launches its search for inspirational individuals excelling in the UK’s retail industry. Women from all stages of their career journey are encouraged to nominate themselves or others – from ambitious rising stars and innovative entrepreneurs to well-seasoned leaders making a significant contribution to their organisation. In addition, the Male Agent of Change Award will recognise a man for his commitment to advancing women working in retail.
This year’s awards programme draws on the theme “Reimagining Retail” and will focus on how innovation and technology are revolutionising the retail landscape. E-commerce sales in the UK totalled £81.55 billion in 2017 alone and the digital share of overall retail sales will continue to grow from 19.1% in 2017 to 25.2% by 2021*. This represents a huge opportunity for women looking to work in this dynamic sector.
The retail industry currently employs 3 million people and has a predominantly female workforce**. However, research shows that women are far less likely to fill senior positions than men, with director-level roles being 26% female and 74% male. A significant gender pay gap in the retail sector has also been recognised, with the average male manager earning 26.8% more than his female colleagues***.
Together with new title partner, Barclaycard, the everywoman in Retail Awards hopes to tackle these issues by uncovering the breadth of senior roles available, highlighting the achievements of many successful women already excelling in the sector and showing just how fulfilling a long-term career in retail can be. Through impeccable leadership, women in these positions are the role models needed to nurture the next generation of female talent and ensure the continued success of the UK’s retail industry.
Maxine Benson MBE, co-founder of everywoman comments: “We are thrilled to have partnered with Barclaycard for the first time for the everywoman in Retail Awards. We are keen to highlight the many opportunities in retail and show that the industry provides more than just jobs, but longstanding careers. It is imperative that we celebrate the role models – both male and female - who are already reshaping the retail landscape, in order to inspire and enable as many women as possible to go from the shop floor to the top floor.”
Paulette Rowe, Managing Director of Barclaycard Payment Solutions comments: “The everywoman in Retail Awards create an opportunity to recognise and celebrate the phenomenal women leading the retail industry. Barclaycard’s ongoing commitment to innovation and technology makes us the perfect partner for these awards. We have worked with retailers for decades and have met many inspiring role models in this continually exciting sector. We hope that these awards will inspire more women to succeed at the very top of the industry.”
Entries are open from 27 March – 14 May and full details are available here. The Barclaycard everywoman in Retail Awards ceremony will take place at East Wintergarden, located between the iconic towers of Canary Wharf in London, on 13 September.
The award categories are as follows:
- Rising Star Award - Awarded to a woman aged under 22 who is excelling in her retail career, making a valuable contribution to her organisation.
- Above & Beyond Award - Awarded to a woman at any stage of her career that has truly gone above and beyond her role to help drive the organisation's success.
- Leader of Change Award - Awarded to a woman whose significant contribution to the strategic direction of the business has increased productivity, innovation or employee engagement.
- Executive Leader Award - Awarded to a woman making a significant contribution to the commercial success of the business.
- Male Agent of Change Award - Sponsored by Specsavers - Awarded to a man for his active commitment to advancing or championing the career progression of women in retail.
- Entrepreneur Award - Awarded to an owner/operator of a retail business that has been operating for 12 months or more, whose vision will inspire other women to start their own enterprise.
- Customer/User Experience Excellence Award - Awarded to a woman who has been instrumental in improving or transforming the customer/user experience.
- Outstanding Influencer Award - Awarded to a female whose voice or social media strategy has successfully influenced the customer both on and offline.
- Innovator Award – Awarded to a woman who is being exceptionally creative within her role, in an unconventional and pioneering way.